Chakra is a Sanskrit word meaning ‘wheel’ which represents celestial order and balance. It relates to a point of intersection where body and mind meets.
The first chakra, Muladhara is also known as root support, located on the base of the spine and responsible for our grounding, energy and survival instincts.
How are we connected to the earth through chakra one? This chakra starts on our sciatic nerve and travels its way down our sacral plexus through our legs connecting us with the ground and making our nervous system have direct contact with the earth, the first chakra element.
Our survival senses like eating, sleeping and reproducing are connected to the earth as how we deal with our material matters as well. Having chakra one aligned means being in harmony with your material, instinct, focus and energy. It’s knowing so well your body you know when to push or rest. Where your energy comes from? How to re energize in the correct way for yourself, so you can give the best for your loved ones and this world?
The answer is on the root chakra, it will give you the signs if it’s blocked or opened and give each of us the chance to listen to our bodies and realign ourselves from time to time.
We’ve enlisted a few tips to guide you through this journey of self-discovering and meditation through Muladhara.
Gardening and activities related to the Earth
It is the chakra that grounds us to Earth, so every activity related to it is beneficial. Spend a little time tending to your garden or, if you live in an apartment, start a small garden in your kitchen or balcony. Plants inspire and protect us, not to mention the help they give us to balance our First Chakra.
Check out some tips to make your gardening life a little bit better.
- If this is your first time, start with succulents; they are low maintenance and come in a myriad of varieties.
- It is important to know which type of soil you’re going to use for which plant, so be careful. Look up what’s best for the plant needs.
- For a sustainable garden, you need to feed the soil and not the plant.
- Put coffee filters in the bottom of pots to keep in the soil while letting the plant drain.
- Each plant has a unique watering schedule. Be sure of what your plant needs to not overwater it. Too much water is just as bad as too little.
- If space is your problem, think vertically. Vertical plants attached to the window will allow space for the plant to grow.
- Know which time of the year is the best to plant what you’ve chosen, so you can make the most out of your plant.
Aromatherapy is also a great way to balance the chakras. Essential oils have been used for nearly 6,000 years to improve health and mood..
For the root chakra, there are a few specific oils that you can use to balance and unblock it. For instance, Sandalwood. Its properties are calm, sedative and antidepressant: it calms the mind and helps with grounding the chakra. Other essential oils good for the Muladhara chakra are vetiver, cinnamon, ginger and lavender.
Just remember: the oils should never be applied to the skin directly. You can use it with a diffuser to inhale it during meditation or dilute it with a carrier oil.
Crystals are also powerful tools to balance our chakras and have been used as therapy for years. Different types of crystal are used for different uses and the ones perfect to your root Chakra are azurite, red jasper, black tourmaline and golden yellow topaz and just touching or being near than can already affect the way your energy flows through you.
Ideally, once you’ve purchased and cleansed your crystal, the best way to start it is finding the best place to lay on your stomach. Place the crystal on your tailbone and play meditation music designed to stimulate the root chakra, take some deep breaths and let the vibration of the crystal work through you.
Affirmation sentences are powerful. At first, they might sound weird and not true, but with practice they can help you restore control over toxic thoughts and strengthen real truths you want in your life.
- “I am in balance. I am safe and healthy. My Basic Chakra works in perfect harmony. I am connected to the Earth.”
- “With every breath, I release the anxiety and fear within me.”
- “The Earth supports me and meets my needs.”
- “I allow things to keep getting better and more abundance”
Use the color red
That’s the color of your Muladhara Chakra. Red is the color of physical energy, passion, courage and is powerfully linked to our most primitive sense of survival.
Put on a red shirt to stay in, wear your favorite red socks. Red means stability, grounding and security to your spiritual side.